Thuraya Knowledge Center is a growing resource for information, including white papers, case studies, research and FAQs. We continually add new items, so be sure to bookmark the section and come back often!
1. What is the difference between the Thuraya XT-PRO DUAL and the Thuraya XT-PRO?
The Thuraya XT-PRO DUAL gives you advanced dual-mode capability with dual-SIM, allowing you to be reachable wherever you are. Both are feature-rich phones which provide multiple supplementary functions along with the basic ability to make satellite calls and send satellite SMSs.
2. What are the dimensions and weight of the Thuraya XT-PRO DUAL?
The Thuraya XT-PRO DUAL weighs 222g and measures 138 x 57 x 27mm.
3. Does the Thuraya XT-PRO DUAL support multiple languages?
The menu of the Thuraya XT-PRO DUAL supports 13 standard languages including English, Arabic, Bahasa Indonesia, Farsi, French, German, Hindi, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Turkish, and Urdu. There is also a separate phone version available which supports Simplified Chinese and English, please contact Thuraya Customer Care for more details.
4. What is included in the XT-PRO DUAL phone package?
The Thuraya XT-PRO DUAL phone package includes the following components: Thuraya XT-PRO DUAL phone, battery, travel charger (including 4 adaptors for EU, UK, AUS, China), car charger, earphones, USB data cable, quick-start info sheet, user guide in 14 languages, support CD and accessory catalogue.
5. What applications are found on the included support CD?
The support CD which comes with every new handset contains:
a. Drivers required to connect your Thuraya XT-PRO DUAL with a PC or laptop
b. Multi-language user guide (in PDF format)
c. Software upgrader, required if there is a software upgrade released for the phone
6. What SIM cards can I use in the XT-PRO DUAL?
Any of the following combinations can be used:
The Thuraya XT-PRO DUAL can be used with a GSM SIM card in satellite roaming mode if the GSM operator has a roaming agreement with Thuraya. Currently Thuraya has about 360 GSM roaming partners worldwide in more than 160 countries. Please check with your local GSM SIM card provider for the latest roaming charges.
7. What are the different modes available on the Thuraya XT-PRO DUAL?
♦ Use this mode when you plan to stay outside of GSM coverage or want to avoid GSM roaming charges.
♦ You will only be able to make or receive calls in satellite mode.
♦ Can be used with a single SIM inserted in the satellite SIM slot.
♦ Use this mode when you do not intend to use satellite functionality.
♦ You will only be able to make or receive calls in GSM mode.
♦ Can be used with a single SIM inserted in
the GSM SIM slot.
SAT & GSM Always On
♦ Use this mode when you plan to move between satellite and GSM coverage so you can avail
of the most economical mode.
♦ You will be able to make or receive calls in both satellite mode as well as GSM mode.
♦ This setting requires the use of two SIM cards, one inserted in the satellite SIM slot and one in the GSM SIM slot.
♦ For outgoing voice calls and messages the default setting must be chosen from the following options:
• Use SAT - all outgoing calls/messages will be made in satellite mode.
• Use GSM - all outgoing calls/messages will be made in GSM mode.
• Always ask - before every outgoing call/message, you will be asked whether to use satellite or GSM for that particular call or message.
8. What is the “dual active” feature of the XT-PRO DUAL?
The XT-PRO DUAL gives you a true dual active experience when in ‘SAT & GSM Always On’ mode. You can be contacted on your GSM number even while on an active satellite call - and vice versa
9. I’m connected to the Thuraya network but the satellite signal icon in the status bar keeps flashing. What does this mean?
If the satellite signal icon flashes, it indicates that the device has not yet received the required location information from the satellites. To rectify this, please move to a place with an unobstructed view of the sky that will allow the Thuraya XT-PRO DUAL to receive its location information.
10. What is the talk time and standby time of the Thuraya XT-PRO DUAL?
The talk time of the Thuraya XT-PRO DUAL is up to 11 hours and the standby time is up to 100 hours.
11. What is the IP55/IK05 standard?
IP and IK are international industrial standards referring to degrees of ‘ingress protection’ for electrical devices.
IP55 standard: First digit 5x. Dust-protected. Full protection against interior injurious dust. That means dust cannot harm the operation of the phone. Second digit x5. Jet water resistant. Protected against water jets from all directions. That means water projected by a nozzle cannot harm the operation of the phone.
IK05 standard: Shock proof. Phone can withstand impact of up to 0.7 joule.
12. What are the specifications of the display?
The Thuraya XT-PRO DUAL has a 2.4 inch (6.1 cm) hardened Gorilla Glass® display with 320 x 240 pixels.
13. What is the brightness sensor?
The brightness sensor on top of the display regulates the brightness of the display according to ambient lighting conditions. In dark environments, the backlight of the display will be reduced, while backlighting will be increased in bright sunlight to provide optimal visibility. This also contributes to reduced battery consumption and thereby increases talk time and standby time.
14. Can the display be viewed in direct sunlight?
The Thuraya XT-PRO DUAL’s combination of a glare resistant display with a high-contrast font and background of the graphic user interface greatly enhances visibility in direct sunlight.
15. Does the Thuraya XT-PRO DUAL have a navigation function?
The Thuraya XT-PRO DUAL allows you to create and manage waypoints. These can be used to navigate from a fixed location to various waypoints, showing the distance and direction to each.
In addition you can send your coordinates by SMS to another person to inform them about your location. Also, you can select your preferred navigation system and choose between GPS, BeiDou, Glonass and Galileo for maximum flexibility.
16. What safety features does the Thuraya XT-PRO DUAL have?
The XT-PRO DUAL has a dedicated SOS button which is easy to use in times of distress. Even when the phone is switched off, simply press and hold the SOS button for 3 seconds. This starts the phone and triggers the emergency service (call and/or SMS) to any pre-programmed number.
17. What are the different Tracking modes available to me on the XT-PRO DUAL?
With the XT-PRO DUAL, you can send your coordinates based on:
- Preset time intervals
- Amount of distance travelled
- When moving outside a preset geofence
18. When using the SOS or Tracking function, what are the format specifications on the receiving side?
The XT-PRO DUAL sends the coordinates in the following formats:
19. Can the location of the Thuraya XT-PRO DUAL be determined by others?
The navigation can only be initiated by the phone user – unwanted tracking cannot be remotely executed.
20. Which network features does the Thuraya XT-PRO DUAL have?
The Thuraya XT-PRO DUAL supports call barring, call diverting, conference calls, call waiting, closed user group and voice mail.
21. Can I connect my XT-PRO DUAL to a PC/laptop?
The XT-PRO DUAL can be connected to a computer or laptop via the included USB data cable. This enables you to send and receive data and faxes or upgrade your handset software.
22. Which PC operating systems are compatible with the Thuraya XT-PRO DUAL?
The Thuraya XT-PRO DUAL is compatible with Windows 10, Windows 8/8.1, 7.
23. How can I use the data connection on the Thuraya XT-PRO DUAL?
You can connect your Thuraya XT-PRO DUAL to a laptop or PC and establish a satellite data connection (GmPRS / Circuit Switched via the included USB data cable) or 2G/3G data connection (via any micro USB cable). This will allow you to use the browser of your laptop or PC. For further instructions, please see the Connect your XT-PRO DUAL guide http://ow.ly/Mgwo8.
24. What is the GmPRS speed of my Thuraya XT-PRO DUAL?
The maximum GmPRS speed (Packet Data) of your Thuraya XT-PRO DUAL is as follows: Download: 60 kbit/s. Upload: 15 kbit/s.
25. What is the Data and Fax speed of my Thuraya XT-PRO DUAL?
The maximum Data/Fax speed (Circuit Switched Data) of your Thuraya XT-PRO DUAL is as follows:
Download: 9.6 kbit/s. Upload: 9.6 kbit/s).
26. What is the 2G/3G speed of my Thuraya XT-PRO DUAL?
The maximum 2G/3G data speed of your Thuraya XT-PRO DUAL is as follows:
Download: 7.2 mbit/s. Upload: 5.76 mbit/s.
27. What accessories are available for the Thuraya XT-PRO DUAL?
There are a number of accessories which complement the Thuraya XT-PRO DUAL, such as car chargers, travel chargers, USB data cables, solar chargers, spare batteries, indoor repeaters, docking units and external antennas.
28. In which countries can I use the Thuraya XT-PRO DUAL?
In satellite mode: Thuraya XT-PRO DUAL can be used across the Thuraya network covering more than 160 countries or two-thirds of the globe in Europe, Africa, Asia and Australia. Please look up our coverage map for more information.
In GSM mode: Thuraya XT-PRO DUAL can be used in most countries across the world. The following frequencies are covered:
- GSM: 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz;
- 3G: 800/850, 900, 2100 MHz
29. Which access points (APNs) are available for use with Thuraya GmPRS?
The standard APN for GmPRS services on Thuraya handsets is ‘GET’. To increase the speed when loading websites you can also use one of Thuraya’s APNs with built-in compression: the APN ‘GETLC’ provides low compression rates (images on websites will be compressed), and the APN ‘GETHC’ provides high compression rates (images will not be downloaded to reduce website loading time). Depending on your requirements, select the most suitable APN in the GmPRS settings on your Thuraya handset.
30.How many contacts can be stored on the Thuraya XT-PRO DUAL?
255 contacts can be stored in the phone memory. The number of contacts that can be stored on the SIM card depends on the type of SIM card being used, a typical Thuraya SIM card can store 250 contacts.